The world media was bombarded with the photos of the 3 kidnapped Israelis. Even the Westerners who claimed support for the Palestinian cause sent their condolences and regards to the families of the 3 Jewish settlers. Suddenly, the world stood silent as if they’ve all figured out the true face of terror in Palestine.
But is that what really happened?
I work in media and I know how much they manipulate the story and all the stories we hear on the news every day.
It’s alarming not to question what we hear in the media. It means the institutions have infiltrated our world so deeply that we stopped thinking for ourselves.
Let’s examine the official Israeli story:
3 Israeli teenagers were kidnapped in Gush Etzion, as they were hitchhiking to their homes. Later, the bodies were found in a field northwest of Hebron. No Palestinian faction announced responsibility for the operation. In retaliation, Netanyahu shelled Gaza and the Israeli army launched an operation in the West Bank against Hamas targets.
1) All the settlements in Hebron, including Gush Etzion, are the most guarded settlements in the region. Hebron is heavily controlled by the Israeli army. The only recorded kidnap in the few previous years was in Gaza and the soldier then, Gilad Shalit, was kidnapped in a cross-border raid. This cannot be compared to the heavily guarded area of Gush Etzion.
2) Israelis would not hitchhike in Hebron in areas surrounded by Arab neighborhoods. Also, if 3 teens were together it’s almost impossible to be involved in an unplanned hitchhiking incident where none of the 3 escaped. We already know that a typical car on the street would carry from 5-7 passengers. I doubt the kidnappers would be more than 3 or 4 in number. We also know that all the settlers are armed. A year ago we heard an ironic story of the settler who landed in Germany and was still carrying his firearm at the airport. He claimed he forgot about it because he carries it all the time! He was not the exception, as this is normal. Every settler is armed.
3) If you think we are talking about 3 innocent teenagers who have been living a peaceful life that has nothing to do with the conflict, think again. Dr. Elias Akleh wrote more on this: http://buff.ly/THoTkv
4) No Palestinian faction announced responsibility for the operation. In the Palestinian history of armed resistance, all kidnappings were immediately announced by the faction responsible.
5) “The bodies of the three boys were found in a field northwest of Hebron.” Now this is the most revealing of all the evidence. Why would any Palestinian get rid of an Israeli body this way?! Would any sane man throw valuable diamonds in the sea (apart from the silly old lady in the Titanic movie)?
They would have exchanged the bodies for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners or the remains of Palestinian martyrs that are still held by the Israeli army and hadn’t had a proper burial till now. This is what happened with Gilad Shalit case. This is what happened in Lebanon too and all the Palestinians know how much Israel values its citizens (or their remains) and thus should never ditch anything for free. It just makes no sense at all, unless the kidnappers were NOT Palestinians.
6) In retaliation, Netanyahu shelled Gaza. Yes, it makes perfect sense. When someone is killed in Hebron, they go all the way to Gaza to make people’s life there more miserable than it already is. Also, there was no evidence that Hamas had anything to do with this. The Israelis played the roles of prosecutors and judges.
7) Operations in the West Bank against Hamas targets. Last time I checked Birzeit University, which was attacked and sacked by the army in retaliation, was never linked to Hamas. Even “This Week in Palestine,” which is the most circulated secular magazine here, and for which I am the content editor, was sacked by the army. Linking the magazine to Hamas is actually so implausible that I’m not sure even the simplest of minds could believe such nonsense.
So what is this all about?
Israel got used to being the bully of the region. They act like those bullies in class who like to be in control and remind all the weaker boys who’s really in charge. I suspect all this fuss of the 3 settlers was an Israeli hoax.
Israel used this to achieve multiple goals:
1) Practice its full control over the West Bank and drive people to the edge of despair and eventually force the youth out.
2) Give a good excuse to the settlers to start a series of terror attacks, confiscate more land and cause more terror. A few days ago, new settlement plans were announced! The settlers have been armed and prepared for years to be ready for this moment. Every Jewish town now raises slogans like: “Hating Arabs is an Added value”, “Arabs are better dead”, “Let’s wipe out Gaza”.
3) Stop Fatah and Hamas reconciliation once and for all.
4) Direct attention towards Arab Israelis (which is evident by the recent events) and plan for a new exodus. This seems to be timed too well with the new ISIS in Iraq and plans for an alternative home for Palestinians in Jordan.
5) Minimize the damage of BDS and other international movements in an attempt to silence Israel critics.
There is nothing more dangerous than the Palestinians who believed, and were even happy, with this hoax. While they are living their own delusions of heroism, Israel is already executing a long-term plan. The torture and horrific killing of Mohammad Abu-Khdeir and everything else we witnessed in the past few days were only the first phase.
* Ahmad Damen is a musician, soundtrack composer and an award-winning film director from Ramallah, Palestine.